Sunday 28 October 2018

Monterey to San Francisco.

Saturday, 27 October 2018

I needed to hand in my rental car by noon in San Francisco so my plan was to travel Highway 1 (for the coast views and lesser traffic) and leave about 8:30 as the trip from Monterey to San Francisco takes  approximately 2 hours. My GPS is a bully and took me a completely different way and in the interest of not causing a multi vehicle pile up I just decided to go with the flow. I mentioned yesterday that I was going to drop the car off on the south side and pick up my next one in a few days on the north side - the theory being that I would not get caught up in any San Francisco traffic. HA!!!

Below are the reasons my plans fell apart 

  • As I approached SF the fog loomed in on me - BLIND
  • I didn't know there the hell I was - LOST
  • The traffic was horrific even approaching SF - SCARED
  • Throw in the oldie but goodie - WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD

What's that saying about the best laid plans of mice and men? sheesh!.   Why did I think that Saturday morning traffic would be light - it was just plain YUGE and CRAZY! The Enterprise car rental place was cunningly hidden away at the back of a strip mall - impossible to find without the fog - never mind with.  I did however,  against all odds,  find it and got my bags unloaded etc and then  realised I'd failed to fill it up with petrol. If I left it for them to do it would cost $100. F****!! The guy said there's gas station just up the road and then he said those fateful words that over the years make my blood run cold.... "you can't miss it".  As soon as someone says that I should just walk away and abandon everything. Yes - I got lost. Yes - in humungous 4 lane traffic. Yes - I wanted to cry.  I did eventually find the gas station but you're required to pay in advance. I told the woman it's not my car - I don't know and can't guess how much the gas will cost. In the end I gave her $60 on the proviso I get any difference back or pay more if needed. It took $48 and I got my change then jumped in the wrong side of the car again. How embarrassing - she was watching me. Felt like a dick! 

I should have left breadcrumbs because I got lost again.  What good is a GPS that doesn't tell you to turn left until you are actually AT the turn when you are 4 lanes to the right. Stress levels rising but eventually I found the bloody place and handed in the keys.

I Uberred to my hotel - The Mosser.  Halloween is evident everywhere - even on the Uber App lol

See the little Batmobile?



I was a bit concerned about this hotel as the reviews were varied  but I was delighted. It's an old style hotel and I have a small room and en suite -  it's clean and comfortable and the staff are very friendly.  The dude out the front, Joe, helped me with my bags.


Joe the friendly Doorman

The location of the hotel is perfect. Last time I was here I stayed in The Tenderloin which was just plain scary. This is much better. Within 500 meters any way I go there are 3 Starbuck's, a Peet's Coffee, 2 movie houses, Target, Westfield Shopping Centre, Bloomingdale's, Denny's Diner, Mel's  Diner, a big food court, a United Nations of various types of restaurants... and as they say....much much more!


.
Check in wasn't till 3 so I left my bags and went to the movies to see Halloween.  Just what I needed. A rise in stress levels lol 

Waiting to enter the Cinema

There's a protest going on at The Hyatt right across the road. Many employees banging drums and chanting - yes - with loudspeakers. I was concerned about the noise but I can't hear them in my room.



Once settled  I  ventured out for a walkabout and decided on Mel's Diner for dinner. 





Real old school diner decor.


Short ribs - I really chose this
 for the veggies.  Yummy

After all the stresses of the day I showered, jammied and hopped into bed and watched the World Series Baseball. My team snatched defeat from the jaws of victory so I closed this day off for once and for all. zzzzzzzzzzzzz! 

No comments:

Post a Comment