Sunday 28 October 2018

San Francisco...... Now you see it..... now you don't!


Sunday 28 October 2018

The plan was to hit the sight seeing early but the  morning news on TV pretty well ruled that out! No point in going out in this so I stayed in  and caught up on my blog and allowed the fog time to disperse.

Who stole San Francisco

I got an Uber to the Golden Gate Bridge and stopped for a danish and coffee to fuel my walk across this beautiful bridge.



It was warming up nicely in town but it gets very cold on the bridge so I was glad I brought a jacket. Being Sunday the bridge was packed with people from all over the world. San Francisco is really a great place to people watch.


Interesting outfit for walking
 across the bridge

These guys were so nice

The bridge itself was shrouded in mist most of the day. Very eerie but I so enjoyed it - I love that bridge..... I don't know why. Over 2000 people have committed suicide by 
jumping off. There are signs everywhere saying don't jump but I guess they didn't see them.

Here are some of my bridge pictures :)




Alcatraz









Who stole da bridge?


I had lunch at Fisherman's Wharf - a rather yummy Clam Chowder in a bread bowl. Once again this  area was way busy as it was Sunday. Too many people for me.




This is where I lunched

Clam Chowder

After lunch I boarded a double decker tour bus to get away from all the people milling around and spent the rest of the day riding around up top in the open (alternating freezing and sweating depending on the bus's location) -  seeing the sights and learning the history of the city.  

Interesting fact - San Francisco  has 96 Starbucks but only 23 Gas Stations.  

Interesting person - Big Alma Spreckels (she was 6' tall)  became known as the Great Grandmother of San Francisco. She was a wealthy socialite who convinced her much older first husband, sugar magnate Adolph Spreckels, to donate The California Palace of the Legion of Honour  to the City of San Francisco. This is where the term Sugar Daddy was spawned. She's now my latest hero - She's quoted as saying "I'd rather be an old man's darling than a young man's slave".  She had also been a nude model before she met Adolf - a bit naughty as she was born in 1881.

Interesting fact - A lot of San Francisco is built on reclaimed land so the  buildings above are not secure if there is an earthquake. In fact whenever there is a quake they have to knock the buildings down but they just rebuild again in the same way. Crazy. 

Interesting fact - the Millennium Tower that's 58 stories high is sinking.... and tilting. Penthouse apartments cost $19 million dollars and lower ones $2 million. Now however, due to the sandy soil it was built on and the insufficient foundations in place the building is actually tilting. It has sunk 17 inches and has tilted 14 inches since 2008 and they don't know how to fix it.


The leaning tower

P.S.    I've noticed in my USA travels so far is that a Stop sign seems to be optional. A bit disturbing :(


No comments:

Post a Comment