Saturday 22 October 2016

On the way to Monterey

Weather Monterey Max 20 min 12 - quite a bit cooler heading north - NICE!!!!

I was up early and Uberred to LA Union Station (the train line was closed to LA so had to make other arrangements). Union Station is quite impressive and quite daunting and I had no idea where to start and where to go. I needn't have worried because the staff were great and  it all fell together very well.

There was a piano there for people to play if they feel so inclined...this man was remarkable....lucky he got there just as I was about to play Chopsticks ;)

LA Union Station - piano man
My Senior Citizen ticket hmmm


I really enjoyed the train trip and it was certainly very comfortable  and there was heaps of room.


"All aboard"

I could hardly reach the footrest - heaps of 
room and comfortable seats



The train line runs mostly along the coast and a couple of times just a little bit too close to the coast for comfort. See below.




Scary 


The scenery was wonderful - much better than last time when I drove - too busy concentrating on the road.


That highway 101 down there

Quite a grey misty day long the coast

The not so fat controller.



Dinner brought to my seat - Salisbury Steak - it tasted a lot better than it looked. I also had the option of going to the dining car but was happy to stay in my seat. I spent some time in the observation car which has a glass roof and revolving seats so you can maximise the view.

Lots and lots and lots of these big RV's - free camping along the coastline




I met a lovely lady called Lisa - hi Lisa! :)  She got on at San Bernadino (or was it Santa Barbara?  - lol - can't recall.)  Anyway...we chatted for ages and I learned a lot from her regarding the country we were travelling through. Very interesting.


Once we reached Salina it was off the train and onto a shuttle for the final leg, the total trip being from 10:10 am from LA to 7:30 pm into Monterey. I thoroughly enjoyed the travel on the train and look forward to doing some more.

I just had time to book into my hotel, shower and jammie up ready for the new season of The Walking Dead .....OH.....MY.....GOD!! Very dark and disturbing. I won't say anything more in case you haven't seen it yet.

I'm looking forward to exploring Monterey tomorrow to see if it is really as special as i thought it was on my last short visit.

2 comments:

  1. Will you be going to Cannery Row, the section of Monterey made famous in John Steinbeck's novels and short stories. Steinbeck is my favorite American writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lesley24 October 2016 at 16:48
      You must be psychic. Not only am I lying in bed googling John Steinbeck and his relationship with Salinas and Monterey right as your msg popped up but before I left I downloaded Cannery Row onto my kindle so I can go down there and read it.. I'm odd like that lol

      ReplyDelete

      Delete