Thursday 25 October 2018

Carmel to Big Sur and back again.

25 October 2018

What a glorious day!! My tummy is better (after 3 days)  and my foot is 90% better. The sun is shining. Its warm outside and the sea is so extra blue blue blue.

Set off today to visit Carmel by the Sea. This town is so unbelievably quaint and beautiful and is, according to locals, the home of Doris Day and Betty White. Also Clint Eastwood was mayor. So..... you can see quite clearly that I was just the young thing about town. hehehe



The Cypress Inn below is part owned by Doris Day (if you are under 50 Google her). The inn has been described as the "pet friendliest inn in the pet friendliest town in America"








It's always Christmas here

I headed south on Highway 1 to visit Big Sur. 
Highway 1 runs from Orange County to Mendocino County and is 655 miles long. This Highway is a tourist destination in itself and you will have seen it in many movies, most recently in Big Little Lies. Great show. The highway was closed for a long period this year due to a landslide near Big Sur but happily for me it's now open.


Highway One - snakes its
way around the coastline

Landslide the closed Highway 1 this year
Stock Photo

Landslide from the top
Stock Photo

Stock Photo

Big Sur is a beautiful stretch of coastline. I didn't venture too far as my mobile carrier went down and that means my GPS is out. If I'm driving on the wrong side of a cliffside road I don't need to be lost as well. Twice today I got into the wrong side of the car again. I'm even lost INSIDE the vehicle.


I headed back towards Monterey and sat behind a large camper van most for the way.  This kept my ride slow enough so I could enjoy the view. At one the stage the traffic came to a standstill and there were several police cars in attendance. A large power cable that ran above us from the top of one power pole to another pole on the other side of the road had come loose and was hanging precariously above the traffic. The very high camper van in front of me was directed to do some pretty fancy manoeuvres to avoid hitting the hanging cable. I so wanted to take a photo with my phone but with all those police around I dare not. I'm not sure if they are as strict here as in Australia. Anyway, some drama I was finally a part of. Now that's enough :)

I was hanging out for a steak so I made my way back to Fisherman's Wharf and had a great - expensive - meal.  The view was lovely and it topped off a great day.



This was wonderful but even now
I can still smell the garlic.

I felt guilty - I drank water

Beautiful view

No comments:

Post a Comment