Sunday 13 November 2016

Catching up ...day 2

12 November 2016

Portland Oregon

Weather Max14 Min 12 Raining on and off


Cold and wet. I don't mind :)

Today is a housekeeping day. Things you take for granted tend to get left by the way when you are travelling and then one day you wake up with one squirt of toothpaste, no clean clothes, hair like a Yeti, no credit on your phone and a possibly "sick" computer and wet shoes.

I got up and  partook of the free breakfast. Crikey Bacon, sausages, eggs, toast, muffin, bagels, yoghurt, fruits. Bewdiful!! No wonder this hotel costs more.

 After breakfast I went straight to the hotel laundry and did my washing. Then Mr Google located a Shopping Centre that had an Apple shop, a T Mobile shop, a hairdressers and hopefully a shoe shop that sells hiking boots. Well! - talk about a smooth ride! I went into the Apple shop and they booked me in to see a Genius ;) in 1 1/2 hours. Then next door to make an appointment for a haircut - they said they would do it right away. Perfect. Walked out of there and almost fell over a T Mobile stand where I  charged my phone for another month. In to J C Penney's and bought a couple of pairs of Trakky Daks so I don't run out of clothes again. Then back to Apple who did a diagnostic on my new baby Mac and found all was well. They reset a couple of settings and gave me a new US adapter and all was well in my world. HOWEVER there was nowhere  that I could buy essentials of the toothpaste/soap powder/ fish oil/ nature and wherever I went they seemed to have hiking boots for men but not for women. Maybe this is in response to so many women telling their men to "take a hike". Who can tell. I ended up walking about 15 kms, lugging  computer and iPad and back pack which definitely got heavier and heavier as the day progressed.

I stopped for a vegetarian burrito in the food hall - tasty, and resumed my search for appropriate footwear and finally found a new store on the outer fringe of the Mall and bought some hiking boots! Yay! Up till now I've been wearing thongs (of the footwear variety) or sneakers but the ground is now cold and wet and some good waterproof walking boots are a necessity. It's only going to get colder and wetter as winter comes in.

I finally returned to the hotel. After such a promising start to the day, I had a lot of requirements still on my list.  I was exhausted and dragged myself next door to Mr Mongolian the Pirouetter and had another nice meal, a shower and an early night.

Tomorrow I will worry about the rest of what  need.

Random - if you get homesick when you travel,  find an Apple Store. The one I was in today was identical to my usuals. I could have been in Chermside or Carindale and as long as no-one said the word ALUMINUM you would have sworn you were home lol

Random - you may remember from a previous post me saying how short sightedness and trying to read signs can be problematic yet funny? Well see the photo below - I did a double take and no explanation is required.





No comments:

Post a Comment