Sunday 15 January 2012

More of London....can't get enough!

15 January 2012 - I woke today feeling a lot better - about 70% - but very tired. So I wouldn't waste a day I caught a Hop On and Hop Off bus and rode around London for 4 hours - getting off every now and again. I covered a lot of the ground I did yesterday but it wasn't quite as exhausting and I saw a lot of new things too.

I met Karen from Phoenix Arizona and her daughter from Seattle Washington on the bus. They had just been to Belgium and were having a couple of days in London on their way back - nice to meet you ladies - have a safe trip :)

Sitting on the top deck of an open double decker in 6 degree temperatures made this the coldest day I've felt since the trip began. I've got a brilliant coat that lets no wind through and thick socks and hiking boots but my face and hands and legs were frozen (forgot my gloves and my hat). When I finally got off the bus I stood  in the doorway of all the shops just too warm up - they have hot air blasting down and then I walked two miles home to get the blood moving.

Interesting things I heard today

  • The Bishop of Winchester back in the 1700s had his own private prison called The Clink - thats why we use the phrase today - throw them in the clink. I did not know this.
  • The reign of terror of Jack the Ripper only lasted 3 months. I thought it was a long term thing.

Marble Arch
Piccadilly Circus

Before I went out today I booked a hotel in Cornwall for 3 days and a hire car and a first class train ticket to go down there on the 17th. I'm looking forward to doing some exploring and visiting the place of my birth  (Redruth).  I couldn't decide which town to book the hotel in and then I thought - being a Fawlty Towers fan - it HAD to be in Torquay so that's where I'll be.

Tomorrow I'm off on the bus trip to Bath & Windsor Castle and Stonehenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment