Wednesday 18 January 2012

Traveling South and my journey's end in sight

I am doing this on my phone as there is no wi-fi so it may ba a bit laborious. 17 January 2012 Caught the train to Torquay and travelled through some incredibly beautiful English countryside. It was cold and overcast but it didn't diminish it's beauty. I am staying in a hotel that - to look at - isn't that dissimilar to Fawlty Towers. I am in the right area - it was set in Torquay but was actually filmed in Buckinghamshire. The innkeepers are very nice and there's not a trace of Sybil. HOWEVER the prat at the railway station says yes - you can walk to the hotel - its just around the corner. Bastard. It is actually 2 miles - UPHILL. It was six at night and freezing by then and I had a 20 kg backpack and a 10 kg front pack plus another carryall. By the time I crawled into the hotel - which I missed twice in the dark - I felt quite sick. Then my room was on the third floor - no lift. I coughed all night and got no sleep. I think I coughed my toenails up. Felt rotten this morning and went to doctor. I have Pleurisy and apparently am lucky I don't have pneumonia. Am on penicillin and bed rest.....sort of. I went to pick up my hire car today and just drove aimlessly around just admiring the wonderful beachside and ships. After driving 25k miles around USA on a big van on the wrong side of the road it was weird being in a small and back on the left side of the road again. Took a while to get used to - and it's a manual. After a whole it all came back to me. Went to the Bull and Bush which is across the road from the hotel for dinner - steak and chips and mushy peas. Luvverly. Depending on how I feel tomorrow I will drive to Redruth where I was born and tootle my way back. I won't be going north or to Scotland and I plan on flying back to Australia next week if I can get a flight. It will be nearly 7 months when I get back and I've had enough. I really don't think I'm going to shake this lung thing off over here - I don't have healthy lungs at the best of times. I am quite excited about returning now the decision has been made.

No comments:

Post a Comment