Saturday 14 January 2012

London :) :) :) :)

13 January 2012 - I arrived in London around midday after a 3 hour flight form Iceland. I got held up in customs due to the fact that my original UK Passport had been stolen but I hadn't reported it to the UK government.  It was all OK though - in case of any problems I had a copy of the police report and the letter from the Australian Embassy in Washington DC with me. They were really helpful and gave me a form to fill in and post and they said they will just post me a new one when it's ready. I will get some new passport photos taken before then as the ones I have are really really scary. Even I get a fright when I look at them.

I was quite proud that I managed to tote my very heavy back pack and 2 other bags and find my way to the hotel in Bolsover St Fitzrovia - peculiar name but its near Oxford Street - without too much drama. Was exhausted when I got there - my bags are heavy and I was suffering a relapse of my sickness and I had only 2 hours sleep in the last 36 hours. Yes....I could feel it coming on....wanted to cry lol BUT I DIDN'T. I think I'm getting tougher.

By the way - in Iceland a toilet is called a SNYRTINGAR ...sounds much more impressive than the LOO or the BOG.


Gordon Mc Gnome suffered a near fatal Humpty Dumpty mishap - he fell (or was he pushed?) off the table and suffered a broken hip. I'm hoping some glue will suffice to fix him or he will need a total hip replacement.


14 January 2012 - I woke up this morning which was my first surprise - I felt so awful I thought I'd died in my sleep.  I am now dosed up with Sudafed for my ears - nose spray for my sinuses - aspirin for the fever - cough medicine for the cough. I did sleep the best part of 12 hours which is probably the best medicine.

I got a late start and caught the tube to Tower Bridge. Loved the Tower of London - so much history  it's just knocks your socks off.  Looking at stuff that happened in the 1300's - a little toy soldier from the 1500's and trying to imagine the little boy playing with it. You can almost feel the ghosts around you. Standing at the spot where Anne Boleyn got beheaded and being in the room where the two little Princes were imprisoned and later just disappeared.....love it.   I walked around for about five hours and also visited London Bridge (it never burned down - I saw it!!) - Trafalgar Square and Nelson's column (impressive) - Buckingham Palace (Betty and Phil were home but didn't wave) - Green Park and St James Park (beautiful) - I had a cruise on the Thames (most enjoyable) - I saw the big London Eye (looks like a giant bicycle wheel with big spokes - not operating today) - 10 Downing St (though you can't get into the street) - Whitehall - Big Ben  (beautiful) - The Houses of Parliament at Westminster - Westminster Abbey (couldn't get in as there was a service on).   I caught the tube back to Great Portland Station (my nearest) and went to a very English Pub and had Roast Beef. I really didn't feel hungry but I hadn't eaten all day so I forced myself to order but really enjoyed it once I started. I also booked a bus trip for Monday (hopefully I'll feel a bit brighter) to go Bath & Windsor Castle & Stonehenge where I will probably feel quite at home. :)


The Rack - MWhahahaha - in the Tower of London

Betty & Phil's house

All he did was march up to that gate behind him - throw a u-ey and then march back.  But he looked pretty in his winter coat

No comments:

Post a Comment