Tuesday 17 July 2012

Victor Harbor to Robe to Beachport to Mt Gambier

17 July 2012 - Reluctantly set off on my trip. The reluctance was fear generated because I was going solo but once I got going all was good. The  drive today went really well - not much traffic at all . Through Strathalbyn down to the Wellington ferry it was beautiful - all green grass and blue skies. HOWEVER - once I hit Meningie the rain started and the wind blew and the fog appeared and it got soooo coooold. Had one nasty close shave with a grey nomad towing a caravan. We were the only two vehicles on the road which was long and straight with a 110 kph speed limit. My friend was doing 90 so as I drew level with his tow bar as I overtook, he started floating out over the white line forcing me off into the dirt. Was quite scary and the old ticker did a double beat for a while. I shouldn't make comments about grey nomads because if I didn't dye my hair I would be one too lol

The road trip musical accompaniment to my really bad singing was Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton and it was quite clear that it was just as well I was alone.

 On this journey I've decided not to count VW Bugs - I'm going to take a leaf out of Lee's book and count roadkill. There were some dead things I couldn't even recognise - one thing looked like E.T. when he was sick (but no heart light lol)  Roadkill = 12         Distance   468.3 Kms

Beachport Jetty - I didn't even want to get out the car - pouring down lol
Wombat Country - maybe this is what the mysterious road kill was

No comments:

Post a Comment