Tuesday 17 July 2012

Mount Gambier , South Australia

18 July 2012 -  Woke to a very cold morning  - 4 C and very soggy out from lots of rain. Went to Telstra first up because I couldn't get my I Phone to show up on my laptop so I could use the wi-fi. Last night I "stole" some wi-fi from an unsecured connection nearby but it was very very slow and kept dropping out, Took forever to do my blog. A little geeky guy at Telstra pressed this and that and got it to work in no time. I consider myself fairly computer savvy but he made me look like the dill he assumed I was lol.  Anyway all good now and working great.

Then I went to the Blue Lake which today was "Fifty Shades of Grey"...mwahahaha. I walked around the edge of the crater which was 3.8 km. Got mostly around before it rained  again and the coffee and cookies at the end were scrumptious. To my non-Aussie friends the Blue Lake is a water catchment in an extinct volcano which is the main water supply for the regional city of Mount Gambier.
Blue Lake


I also went to the Umpherston Sinkhole. Mt G has got many limestone caves under it and this was one that collapsed (a long time ago) and the big hole is now a beautiful garden. I don't want to live here in Mt G - wouldn't sleep nights waiting to be swallowed up by a collapsed cave :(  Also saw the Cave Gardens - another big hole but pretty garden and waterfall

Umpherston Sinkhole

By the time I finished Blue Laking and sink holing  the weather was so bad - bucket loads of rain then hail - I thought I might just give up and go to the movies. Just then the sun came out and the afternoon looked promising so I took off for a drive to Port MacDonnell. - magnificent coastline and rough seas - loved it. I drove aimlessly around and relied on miss smarty pants GPS to get me home but she took me on a wild goose chase along unpaved roads with bloody big potholes that nearly swallowed my little (now very dirty) car. Forgot to have lunch so will go out soon to the pub for an early dinner.
Port MacDonnell

Wahhh....so dirty..bloody GPS mole

I've booked into a hostel in Apollo Bay for tomorrow night and so tomorrow I travel the Great Ocean Road.
Looking forward to it.

Total Road kill # 14             Today's mileage - 120.8 km

No comments:

Post a Comment