Thursday 19 July 2012

Mt Gambier SA to Apollo Bay Vic via the Great Ocean Road

19 July 2012 - left Mt Gambier about 9 ish after a freezing cold night without much sleep. First stop was Portland Victoria....not a particularly appealing town.
Portland Vic
Next passed through Codrington Wind Farm - never heard any of the whooshing noise that people say make them ill but I could have cloth ears :)
Codrington Wind Farmn
Then it was on to Port Fairy - very pretty and I would have liked to spent a bit more time there. It appears and Irish Jesus moors His boat there lol

Port Fairy
Next stop was the Bay of Islands - I thought this was the best sight of the day - much better than the Apostles.
Bay of Islands
Next on to the Bay of Martyrs - also impressive. As you can see the weather was delightful.

Bay of Martyrs Victoria

We could have used some of these signs (in reverse) when driving in USA - coming out of car parks was a dangerous time.


You pretty much have the picture now - the day was spent getting in and out of the car
 and nearly getting blown away. Quite tired now. The last part of today's travel was through some mountains on very winding roads and even though I was driving I started to get travel sick. This is something I usually save up for when I'm a passenger and until I reached my teens I  used to share my affliction with everyone else in the car - when it happens it happens - sorry guys.  When I looked at my petrol gauge and saw that I was on Empty I felt r-e-a-l-l-y sick. No towns for miles and miles and it was  late and I was getting worried. Finally I came to a one- shop town and luckily they had a bowser....$1.86 a bloody litre. I got $20 worth and continued on...swearing loudly (once I was out of earshot)

I saw a herd of emus and a flock of  alpacas and a row of sheep and a family of cows but the two things I never saw were the ones they kept warning me about lol


I did see a lot of dead roos....one enormous one....thought it was a damn bear lol. It was black......fresh and bloody ....yuk. 15 new roadkills today

Apllo Bay looks beautiful ....will explore tomorrow. Staying at the YHA Eco Hostel - very similar to the one I stayed in in Iceland. Very very nice and only $30 per night.
12 Apostles - actually there's 9 - 3 ran away. This picture would not go into the right spot so it can bloody stay here

Total roadkills #29    Mileage today # 386.8

No comments:

Post a Comment