Tuesday 13 December 2016

♫♫♫ Deep in the Heart of Texas ♫♫♫

Forth Worth, Texas

Weather Max 15 Min 2

Well...what a to do!! As per yesterday's blog, Kae dropped me in Greenbrier and I caught the bus to Little Rock. I booked into a hotel and as I had received no text from Amtrak to say the train was delayed, I optimistically left the hotel at 2 am to get the train due out at 3.10 am.  Keep in mind that I never slept as I was too worried I might not hear the alarm (I know! - but it happened the morning I flew out of Brisbane to LA). I showered and headed off to the station to find the train was delayed - BY 4 1/2 HOURS!!!  I debated returning to the hotel but I had handed in my key and I wasn't sure that if I could get it back. In the end I stretched out on a hard wooden pew for the next 4 1/2 hours. There was no coffee - I had a Twixt from the vending machine but it was melted because they had the temperature pumped up in the station to 29 C ( 83 F) - it was like a bloody oven.  It was a very very very very long night and to add insult to injury the train arrived just before the end of the thriller I was watching on the TV so I still don't know if  Kevin Costner recovered from the the terminal disease he had and if he finished killing all the bad guys.

If I never see this station again
it will be too soon
Texas Eagle - should have been
 called the Texas Budgie


At this stage I'd had 1 hours sleep in the previous 24. Shortly after we boarded the train they served breakfast so I went to the dining car. I thought I'd sleep after that but I was way past it by then. I still have the head cold so I took the night time Nyquils and I slept for 2 hours. That was it!!  I finally arrived at Forth Worth, Texas after 8 hours on the train at 4.30 and then by the time I got my bags and Uberred to the hotel it was nearly 5:30.  I am way too old to get by on that little sleep.  I am now showered and fed and I will hopefully sleep all night. 

The food wasn't as good on the Texas Eagle as it was on the Coastal Starlight. Just another grrrr moment.  

Breakfast
Lunch - pork shank sandwich.

This day has been loooong but my room at the hotel is wonderful. I booked at the Marriott because it's cheaper mid week and Christmas is their quiet time so the room was a good price. HOWEVER - I am quite a distance from anything so I might just treat myself to a bit of relaxing luxury in the hotel for a few days. 

Flags are flying at half mast everywhere and apparently it's  out of respect for John Glenn - they will stay like that until he is interred.




I was sitting in the caboose!!

Texarkana



Texas is a bit sparse




Made me laugh - Molly the Trolley


No comments:

Post a Comment