Monday 2 January 2012

Ground Zero - World Trade Centre

2 January 2012 - I got the Subway into Lower Manhattan mid afternoon and just walked around again - window shopping and people gawking etc etc  All very interesting. I had a ticket to go into Ground Zero at 5.30 pm. When we were in New York last time we managed to see the OUTSIDE of Ground Zero and Trinity Church and other buildings around and various memorials but you needed the ticket to get into the actual site and the museum and of course  it was booked up until after we left.  I got on-line last week and managed to get this ticket so I'm very happy. It was dark and just so bloody cold so i probably missed some of it but what I did see was eerily amazing. The pools were spectacular....all lit up.


 I looked up at all the other buildings around and tried to imagine the planes slicing through them and even being on the spot  it still defies belief.

So hard to believe
The thought that 3000 people died on that spot makes you reflect - these people just got up on a normal day to go to their normal jobs and to live their normal lives....but they never went home. One part of the site houses some of the original remaining structure and steel beams of the North Tower (I think it was the north one). The museum also holds personal items that were found in the ruins...heart breaking.

Part of the North Tower
I was freezing when I got back to the hotel - it was 3 C but the wind just right through you. BRRRRR

No comments:

Post a Comment