Monday 21 November 2011

♫♫♫...Colorado Rocky Mountains high....♫♫♫

21 November 2011 - headed off from Colorado Springs towards Aspen. Never made it all the way - it's about 40 minutes away from where we are now but the weather and the dark conspired to end the day's travel early. We are currently in Glenwood Springs. Today we passed through Breckenridge and Vail and I have to say these towns and the scenery on the whole trip just looked amazing....like Christmas Cards or post cards...I'm sure I've done jigsaw puzzles of some of the houses. It just didn't seem real . Lots of snow capped roofs and picturesque buildings - almost felt like we were in Europe. Of course there were the windy mountain roads again....my personal favourite...NOT....and then it started to SNOW!!!! Finally Lee saw snow actually falling ...after a winter in New Zealand and winter at Mount Everest she finally saw it snow  in Colorado.



The falling snow increased my driving anxiety ....it got quite dark and the roads were winding almost turning back on themselves and the snow was coming right at us. It was only light but then we came to a bit where the road had snow on it. The speed limit was 10 mph (16 kph) so we just crawled along. I applied the brakes GENTLY and they made a weird noise and didn't really do much. I don't have any experience driving in snow so there we are....I'm driving and Lee is on Google on my phone looking up "tips on driving in the snow" lol.   Luckily this snowy bit was only short and we were soon on nice clear roads again.

Miles 236.5 (380.6 km)      Bugs # 1124      OLD$13

No comments:

Post a Comment