Tuesday 25 October 2016

Car-mel

Weather Max 20 Min 12

Well I don't care whether its Carmel or Car-mel. On a Tuesday morning on a pristine autumn day, Carmel has got to be one of the most beautiful places on earth. The weather was perfect.  It wasn't crowded. It was clean. The beach had beautiful white sand (albeit imported from elsewhere). If you ever get the chance please go and see and feel it.

Some interesting things about Carmel

  • Clint Eastwood was the mayor for 1 term in 1986
  • The movies Play Misty For Me and some scenes from Basic Instinct were filmed there.
  • There was a law prohibiting the sale and consumption of ice cream in public streets - repealed during Clint Eastwood's mayorship.
  • There are no street addresses - your mail goes to a Post Office box
  • There are no fast food places or chain restaurants
  • You need a permit to wear high heels higher than 2 inches (apparently this is not policed)
  • Doris Day and Betty White both own property in Carmel

Clint still owns a restaurant and property here but mostly lives in LA. To me the makes NO SENSE

Hotel owned by Doris Day

I am going to put a lot of pictures on here - just because it is such a picturesque town.

Beautiful clean beach

Picturesque buildings


All ready for Christmas






Don't ask lol - maybe a Halloween thing

 Outside the cafes there are no tables and chairs blocking the footpath - they are all in cute little alcoves and alleys



The feel of the place and the building style is almost European 





 There were quite a lot of cute little cars around the place and conversely an over representation of UPS and Fedex trucks....again.....who knows?






The local Plumber is Mr Rooter - obviously a different meaning in Australian



After  thoroughly exploring Carmel - which is only a square mile -I found my way back to my favourite coffee shop on Cannery Row. More caffeine and more reading. I really will miss that spot - the cute young guy who works there asked me today if I wanted "my usual".   I felt quite at home.

I finally dragged myself away and continued on the path along the ocean front to Pacific Grove. The beach is quite spectacular and the day was made for walking.


This struck me as funny. It's an aquarium and they are advertising tinned fish. Bit like a zoo advertising elephant meat.

Pacific Grove Beach




After three days of literally walking for miles and miles my feet were feeling the strain and I had had enough.  I called Mr Uber and he came and took me back to my motel for a nap.


I revisited Denny's for dinner and don't think I will be awake for long.




Tomorrow late afternoon I head for San Francisco and as there is quite a bit of rain predicted I may not get to see much more of Monterey.  Will have to see how it pans out.

I have to add that I have met an incredible number of friendly and helpful people just as I go about my day. Also on the train and the Uber drivers are Uber helpful :)  I've had no time to get lonely or homesick (YES!! I DO miss you Derek xx) and am quite happy with the way things are going.



6 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your description of Carmel through your words and photos. How long are you planning to be in San Francisco?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until about nov 2 or 3. I'm meeting up with a young lad from where I used to work who coincidentally will be in SF at same time

      Delete
  2. Carmel sounds fabulous...as you say ,almost European in style. Could easily transport myself there!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Close your eyes and click those red shoes 😉

      Delete
  3. Carmel sounds wonderful, really loving the blog and photos from your travels - and the pics of Derek of course

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carmel is a place to put on your list as is Monterey. Not much for teenagers but good for "older Folk" :(

    ReplyDelete