Monday 10 October 2011

Catch up again!! Why do motels/RV parks advertise Wi-Fi when it doesn't work grrr!!

8 October - Caught the ferry to Riviere-Du-Loupe. The trip took an hour and not only did I not get seasick - I ate sausages and eggs and beans and toast on board. lol.  Once we got to the other side it was mostly a big day's drive - 356 miles (573 kms). It was an unseasonably warm day and the trees are turning red and orange and yellow and a hundred other shades of red and brown. With all the French signs and French radio station and beautiful scenery it was again like being transported to France. We stayed in a motel at Moncton Canada with great view but the grottiest towels you have ever seen in a motel lol - lucky we brought our own.
 Bugs #788

9 October -  Drove from Moncton to Bar Harbor Maine. Bar Harbor reminds me a bit of Noosa but bigger and better. It was soooo busy as it was a long weekend - Columbus Day. Very pretty but very touristy. Went out to a hotel for the obligatory Maine lobster dinner. It was beautiful although I needed a hosing down afterwards. Slippery little suckers!! I like lobster but I still prefer crabs so will try to find a crab restaurant on Wednesday for my 60th - if I get messy I can blame it on old age then lol. Today was some kind of a record - highest temperature for October for 59 years. We must have brought some of that warm Aussie weather with us. Can't believe we were freezing at -1 just a few days ago.. The Maine coast is absolutely gorgeous - exactly as I imagined.

Beauiful Maine
ps and totally irrelevant - there are some mountains in Canada called Mont Chic Choc...sound very tasty!!
308.5 miles (496 km)  Bugs# 804 bugs

10 October - Went into Bar Harbor for a good look around. As I said it is very touristy and being the last long weekend before winter and being so warm it was extra busy.



 Then we drove  to Bangor Maine - had a look around and then went and saw Stephen King's house - quite spectacular. Then off to Boothbay and booked into the gorgeous Tugboat Inn overlooking the Boothbay Harbor. This place is what the words Maine & fishing village and boats brings to my mind. The crowds are gone and I am sitting in the room which is on a wharf looking across the bay at the the lights. Church bells were ringing and seagulls singing. I love it. Lee booked us in here so I will be here to celebrate my 60th birthday and she couldn't have found a better place. It's the sort of place I have had in my mind since I was a kid (all those many years ago) of the perfect place to live. We're here for two nights so I'm feeling very happy :)
Stephen King's House


Miles 205 (329 kms) Bugs # 810
View from hotel at Boothbay Harbor

Part of the hotel - our part is on a wharf

2 comments: