Saturday 5 November 2016

Catch up...San Fran to Crescent City

3 November 2016

I was up at 5 am as my Amtrak transport was to leave at 7 am and I didn't want to risk being gridlocked in any early morning traffic getting to the depot. All went went since the guy had corrected my ticket the night before and I got on the bus to Emeryville. There was a 45 minute wait there and then I was to get a train to Martinez and then a bus to Arcada where my friend Larry would be picking me up for the final leg to Crescent City. When I was at Martinez I looked at my ticket again and this goose at the Amtrak office had corrected the first leg of the trip but not the second. Could not believe it. With 5 minutes to spare I managed to get to the counter and the woman issued me the correct ticket and got grumpy at me because I was in a hurry.  Was not impressed and will check all future tickets in fine detail.

Observation -I don't know why they bother making station announcements - and I'm talking everywhere in the world here - you can never understand a word they say.

I admit to being a bit nervous about the bus trip as a tour bus crashed in Southern California a couple of weeks ago and 19 people were killed. Don't tell anyone but I googled to find out where the safest seat in a bus is lol. For future record it's at least half way back, on the aisle and on the side NOT facing oncoming traffic. Guess where I sat.

The trip itself was long - I enjoy train travel but not so much bus travel. In fact, once we hit the mountainous areas in the north I started to feel a bit travel sick. Luckily I had some dramamine which I bought in case the Alcatraz trip was rough (but it wasn't). Of course the dramamine made me sleepy and I slept through a couple of long sections.  Not ideal but better than the alternative.

It was wonderful to see Larry and Angie again after 5 years and great meeting their little boys. They should be very proud of them....they are so polite and vcry loving. Gorgeous.

Angie :)


I had the best night sleep that I've had since I left home because it was so quiet. LA had ambulances because I was next to a hospital. Monterey had thin walls and noisy neighbours. San Francisco was just plain noisy and there were sirens 24 hours  day.


4 November 2016

A day that one minute was cool and the next warm depending on whether you were in the forest or the beach. The kids were at school and Larry at work so Angie and I went for a drive. This really is a most beautiful part of the coast and the sea mists are quite eerie. We saw Battery Point light house and you can really see the need for lighthouses along this coast because of all the rocks.


Battery Point Light House
Chilling - in every sense of the word
 - relaxed AND cold

Endert's Beach Lookout. Don't bother getting your
bikinis out...very cold.

This is the bridge that poor ET"s body
was found under. A movie the brings
me to tears whenever I watch it. To
the left is where Return of the
Jedi was filmed.

Huge pieces of drift wood on the beach


I indulged in clam chowder again for lunch with Angie at the Apple Peddler but somehow resisted the desserts



After we picked the boys up from school we played basketball. Getting the ball in the hole eluded me for some time but I finally got my ol" slam dunk going. It helped that the boys were half my size lol.

All in all a great day with great people and a another great night's sleep.


Morning company in bed while I finish
 my blog  xxxxxxzz



No comments:

Post a Comment