Monday 5 September 2011

Close shave :(

4th September - Left Cherub land and travelled through St Cloud - pretty town - then on to Duluth which is on the banks of Lake Superior in Minnesota. Seems to be a working town but very nice down along the water edge.  I found the answer to the age old question of why we have an  Easter Bunny and why he brings eggs -  just outside Ogilvie in Minnesota.

We headed over a bridge from Duluth and then we were in Wisconsin (our 11th state) land of cheese...yummy. We stayed in a beautiful little place called Bayfield which is on the banks of Lake Superior.   Nice camp site but no showers and only a very smelly "long drop". At least we were close to the loo's as we are in bear country again. Bugs#  549

5th September - Was leaving the camping grounds this morning through a very closed in and bumpy winding lane and turned left onto the road. Now through the whole 10,000 kms I have driven here I have been 200% aware because I know that things are different here and a mistake can be fatal. I use mental rhymes for turning  - "right is tight" and "left is long". Well this morning I just reverted to being in Australia and turned left...tight..just as another car came over the hill. We had a very near miss......we were lucky because the driver had just left the speed zone from the town and was going quite slowly - speed limit in town is 25 mph (40 kmh).  I felt absolutely devastated. Although I have got more confident with the driving I have worked hard not to get complacent and then this happened.  Will concentrate even more and go back to saying the rhymes out loud instead of in my head. :(

Had brunch in  Bayfield...a town that has had some famous visitors...John Kennedy Jr...Brad and Jennifer..Billy Bob Thornton...Bridget Fonda. Bayfield looks like a scene from a movie...beautiful.

The cherub room from the other night needs to be updated ...24.....I forgot the cherub figurine on the desk lol...shudder!!!!

Everywhere we go....RV Parks and Hotels...people have their dogs with them. Some time they have 2 or 3 dogs.   The tourist industry is very dog friendly in USA and I think Australia should follow suit.  It's really weird seeing deer running across the road.......in Australia we're used to seeing the Kangaroos doing it. One ran across in front of us today and as we got closer another one toddled across. I managed to slow in time....(no....I wasn't going to swerve Paul)........but it was a close thing. Lots of road kill around all of a sudden.....possums and racoons and other things we don't really recognise.

One thing I'll never get used to are the toilets that automatically flush when you stand up. Scares the $%^&* out of me every damn time. I look around fast cos you feel like there's someone else in there with you :(    ....and if you dropped your phone or purse in there you would be too frightened to stand up. Suppose you would have to call 911....a toilet emergency!!!

To celebrate our non collision I took Lee to the Red Lobster and we ate everything in sight...including the chocolate chip cake desert with ice cream that had no calories in it :)  Bugs# 552

No comments:

Post a Comment