Saturday 30 July 2011

San Francisco

27th July- Caught train into city and met three guys - Joe, Joe and Jake - from Ohio. They were visiting too so managed with their help to get to Pier 39. Took a 2 hour open top double decker bus tour around the city to get our bearings. Very interesting city. The biggest disappointment was not being able to go to Alcatraz as they are booked months ahead:( Saw the hippy section (which is called Haight - weird - should be Love lol) This is Jan Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Grateful Dead stomping grounds. The bay area was 20 degrees cooler than the surrounding districts and got really quite cold. The bus itself left a lot to be desired on those bumpy hilly roads and it took my breath away when the driver chucked a U turn in a busy street ...gulp!! The Golden Gate bridge looked dark and spooky and was shrouded in mist. Imuch prefer Fisherman's Wharf on Monterey to SF and in fact I think Monterey is my favourite place so far. Bugs #99

28th July - Caught the train in to SF again and walked over the bridge and bussed it back. The bridge was shrouded in mist again and it was freezing but I didn't feel any urge to jump :).  Later went to THAT street in SF and walked to the top. So steep I swear my toes were touching my shins!!! Never been on such a steep street. Caught the cable car back down and then a trolley car back to the wharf - loved it - reminded me of so many movies. Have walked for miles and miles so far - makes sleeping easy. I like SF in the outer areas but SF itself is not so nice. Having said that I loved the architecture and the Bay itself. With the streets as hilly as they are it would be not be a user friendly place to live. Bugs #132

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't particularly impressed with San Fransisco either, people had told me that I'd love it before we went - it seemed to be the favourite place of everyone I knew who'd visited - but I dunno, it didn't grab me...John loved it though and wants to go back again so I'll give it a another chance someday. The architecture is wonderful though isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful- and so eclectic

    ReplyDelete