Friday 22 July 2011

Face your fears and do it anyway

WELL!!! The 21st was THE day! We picked up the camper van and I cannot convey my anguish at seeing the size of it. Although small by comparative RV sizes it is 3 times bigger than anything I have ever driven before. Add to that in USA they drive on the opposite side of the road and even the indicators and gear shift are on the opposite sides of the steering column. I felt like I was driving the Queen Mary down an alleyway in mirror image!!!! Lee was a great (and scared) instructor constantly telling me when I got too close to trees, cars, cyclists and the general public on the passenger side. We also have a Sat Nav which Lee interpreted brilliantly. So as not to get too complacent and let the fear wear off:(  I then drove from near the LAX pickup point to Venice Beach and then back across LA in peak hour to get to Annaheim. Venice Beach to Annaheim is a distance of about 40 miles- due to traffic holdups it took over 2 hours to get there - every muscle was clenched tight - and I mean EVERY -  the whole time. Would have been nice to pick it up in the countryside and practice first but this was a real baptism of fire. Venice Beach was great and had a yummy lunch at a beachfront pub. Then walked along the seafront - markets- acrobats- some very "interesting" looking people.  Today isthe 22nd and we are having a day of rest before going to Disneyland tomorrow. We are only half a mile from there and last night we could see the fireworks - very impressive (and loud). Bugs #29

3 comments:

  1. Anaheim was our first stop in California, after LAX of course, and I fell asleep quite early only to be woken by what I thought was gunshot, I thought we were in the middle of a shootout but it was Disney's fireworks...
    Soooo...you'll be going on the Tower Of Terror?? And no matter what the waiting time is, Soarin' Over California is a must..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corragio on the road, Lesley! Pleased to hear that things are going so well. Both iPhone owners now, I understand! I'm impressed. Before you know it, you'll be coming over to the dark side with a Mac! Cheers, Richard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Richard- already I cant live without my I phone :)Lee rang me this morning and I couldn't work out how to answer hehehehe....the dark side will have to wait a while longer methinks:)

    ReplyDelete